1. Compare the fareCompare – and compare again! This will for sure help you to spend less. Make sure to check different departure dates, destinations and travel companies. The easiest way to do this is with a travel search engine. Filter your selection to see the lowest price first – you might even find cheap destinations that you wouldn't have thought of on your own.
2. Buy airfare onlySome last minute deals are airfare only and the prices are often lower than with scheduled airline services. Combine a cheap flight with accommodation of your own choice. This way you can also choose to stay in several different cities during your holiday.
3. Travel from another airportConsider if travelling from another airport than your closest one can help you save money. It might not feel too bad to spend some extra time in the car or on a domestic train, if there are big savings to be made.
4. Skip the trendy destinationsThere is always a high demand on popular destinations, which leads to more expensive tickets. Choose something other than the hot spots of the year and you'll probably save a lot.
5. Wait...... and make a bargain! You can easily cut the price if you can afford to be flexible about the dates. The real bargains can often be made really late, just before departure. Make sure to be ready for a kick-start and have your bag and passport ready!